Assessment of the occurrence of gene polymorphisms CAPN316 and UoGCAST in the population of cattle

Kosyan Dianna 1,*, Kolpakov Vladimir 1, Rusakova Elena 1, Ruchay Aleksey 2

1Federal Research Centre of Biological Systems and Agro-technologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 9th Yanvarya St., 29, 460000, Orenburg, Russia

2Chelyabinsk State University, Br. Kashirinykh St, 129, 454021, Chelyabinsk, Russia

*corresponding author e-mail address:   | Scopus ID 56698270900

Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, Volume 10, Issue 1, 2020, 4786 – 4789,


To solve the problem of increasing the rate of breeding, but reduce the breeding work with farm animals, it is necessary to form herds with the desired level of productivity, that are adapted to specific regions of breeding, resistant to various diseases, with a decrease in the time for the breeding process. The active use of molecular genetic methods has contributed to the expansion of the list of DNA markers for farm animals, which are candidate genes for economically useful traits. Among these genes are widely known members of the calpain-calpastatin system, which is associated with postmortem proteolysis and tenderisation of muscles. The calpain system consists of an actively expressed μ-calpain (CAPN1) and m-calpain (CAPN2) and a single endogenous inhibitor, CAPN1 and CAPN2-calpastatin (CAST). The study of polymorphisms of these genes contributes to the expansion of marker characterisation in breeding. DNA samples (n=139) obtained from the blood of cattle were used in the work. Real-time PCRs were carried out using a ANK-32 programmable thermocycler (Synthol, Moscow, Russia). The CAPN316 gene polymorphism was present in 15% of animals tested, with allele G being found in 85% of animals. Similar calculations on the occurrence of the UoGCAST gene polymorphism in this sample of animals found the desirable allele G in 22% of animals and allele C in the remaining 78%. From the analysis of the occurrence of both genes and their polymorphisms in the study population, animals that had a combination of both desirable genotypes (CC*GG*) of CAPN316 and UoGCAST genes were not identified. There were also no animals that had the desired CAPN316 CC genotype and the heterozygous state of the UoGCAST gene (CC*GC). While 7.6% of the animals were CC*GG for the desirable expression of gene CAPN316, they contained the homozygous form of the gene UoGCAST.

Keywords: genetic markers, cattle, CAPN1, CAST, DNA, tenderization.